Serves : 4
Prep Time : 30 minutes
Cook Time : 20 minutes
– 400g of Prawns (Tiger Prawns, Pink Prawns, King Prawns, etc)
For the Sauce :
– 1½ teaspoons of Oil
– 50g of Tamarind Paste « 3 Chef’s ® »
– 1 chopped small Onion (yellow or white)
– 2 teaspoons of Palm Sugar
– 1 teaspoon of Fish Sauce « Real Thai ® »
– 1 small Bird’s Eye Chili – deseeded and finely chopped
– A little Water
For the Garnish :
– 2 thin stems of Chinese Garlic
– A little fried Garlic and Shallots (optional)
Dilute the tamarind paste in a bowl of very hot water. Stir well, taking out any lumps, and then leave it to soak for 30 minutes. Squeeze and filter out the water.
Next, clean the prawns: wash them and shell them whilst leaving the tail on.
Heat the oil in a wok. Once the onion is golden brown, add the tamarind paste and the sugar.
Keep stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the rest of the seasoning: the fish sauce, the sliced chili, and the water to dilute the sauce.
Add the prawns. Cook for a few minutes over a medium to low flame, allowing time for the flavour to intensify.
Stir the prawns into the sauce, covering them entirely, tasting and adjusting the seasoning if you need to.
To Serve :
Garnish with chinese garlic and if you wish, fried garlic and shallots.